Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Thanksgiving wreaths


Does it really annoy anyone else that they go straight from Halloween decorations to Christmas? There's a whole holiday in between! Unfortunately, I seem to have bought into the idea of Thanksgiving not counting as a holiday, since I have exactly six things to decorate with: a turkey salt shaker, turkey pepper shaker, and four place mats shaped like leaves. SO, I decided that I was going to decorate for Thanksgiving this year by making all my things! I gave myself $20 at the dollar store and bought some stuff. The first thing I made were these wreaths. I saw something on pintrest about taking dollar store stuff and painting it with metallic paint, which makes it look a little nicer.


Here are my supplies: four wreaths, a thing of fake leaves and a thing of fake flowers. I picked the flowers based on what I liked best with the petals. I didn't worry about the colors, since I knew I'd be painting them anyway. Total cost: six dollars.


The first thing I did was pull off some leaves and a flower head. If you are stressed, this is a fun thing to do. Makes you feel better. =)


Next I spray painted them all gold. I wanted to use a few metallic colors to look more fallish, but we only had gold on hand and I didn't want to spend more money. If I had other colors - like a metallic red or something - I would have lightly sprayed the leaves on top of the gold, just for some contrast.


I was lazy and only painted the front of the stuff, as you can see from this picture. (I might end up painting the back, just because you can kind of see the red of the flower from the side. But, it depends on how lazy I am feeling when I get some free time!) I also had some ribbon on hand that I used to hang the wreath. I just threaded the ribbon through one of the gaps in the wreath and glue gunned it on.


I think it turned out pretty cute! I definitely don't think it looks like it's from the dollar store, which was my ultimate goal. These wreaths are small and cute and hang on our inside doors. I'm still waiting for my pintrest inspiration for an outdoor wreath for the front door.

No comments:

Post a Comment