Thursday, October 4, 2012

Pintresting Ideas

I started this whole blog because how obsessed I am with Pintrest.  There are SO many cool ideas and pretty things to look at.

As I have been trying to implement Pintrest ideas, however, I have found that some work better than others, some are prettier than others, and some are just epic fails.  I thought I would do a kind of Pintrest assessment of things I have pinned and let you know how it went.

Since this is supposed to be a crafty blog (HA!  Not in months!) let's start with some crafty things.

First up is this paper star.  I made one using Christmas themed paper and it turned out...ok.  I used double sided tape to stick it together and that was a disaster.  Then I stapled it, and it worked a little better.  Honestly, the hardest part for me was figuring out how to cut the paper, but I attribute that to my blondness.  Mostly. ;)

For Christmas last year, I hand made a lot of my gifts based off of things I saw on Pintrest.  I made scarves out of t-shirts for two of my friends: this one and this one.  I thought the first one turned out pretty cute...but not warm.  And it was heavy and thick.  The second one...yeah, no.  It looked like the one in the picture, but in person it was really obvious that it was a t-shirt and just...yeah.  No.

Next up, baking and cooking.

I tried these Lemon Brownies with a splenda substitute for a diabetic friend of mine.  I was hoping that the citris flavor of the lemon would overpower the taste of Splenda.  It didn't.  Plus, I found out that Splenda gives me migraines.  That was awesome.  I have no idea if these turn out fabulous with regular sugar, I haven't tried it yet.

These Deep Dark Chocolate Cookies were my first foray into gluten-free baking and HOLY BANANAS were they amazing!!!  Even my non-GF supportive friends ate them and asked for the recipe.  These are delicious and should be made by EVERYONE, no matter if you are GF or not.

I made Zucchini Tots to go with a pulled pork one night and they were...ok.  The recipe very clearly states to make sure that your zucchini is properly drained or they will be soggy.  The recipe is correct.  I want to try making them again, but really making sure that they are drained before I bake them.  The flavor was great and the crispy outside was delicious, so if I can just fix the middle, I think it would be a regular rotation at our house.

This Avocado and Corn Salad was fantastic.  A definite repeat for the summer months.  And, it was pretty easy, too.  We didn't grill the corn, we just steamed it in the husk in our microwave, but it turned out great.  The proportion of one veggie to another didn't really matter either - I just threw in whatever I had on hand.  Definitely recommend this one.

And finally, just some random stuff that I pinned and will now tell you about.

I tried to do this to my fingernails last night and....it did not work.  Basically it just took each layer of paint off and then gunked up the paintbrush so much I had to throw it away.  I fully admit it may have been operator error, but I could NOT get it to work at all.

I cleaned out my dishwasher as described here, and I am not sure why I did that.  We've been in our house 2 1/2 years and I don't think it made a difference at all.  What I SHOULD do is clean out my washer and dryer according to pins, since those are visibly gross and should be done.  But, laziness calls and alas, I have yet to do that.

This is actually a fantastic idea and has revolutionized my work keys.  Instead of fumbling with seven of them, I color coded each one for whatever it is.  The door for outside is green (because outside = green).  The door to my office is pink (because Jen = pink).  The door to the main office is blue (because freezing cold temperatures every day in there = blue).  It's awesome.

And finally, I end with this: cleaning your glass stovetop.  This is probably the best thing I have ever pinned.  Stuff that had been scorched on and not even touched with regular glasstop cleaner came off with a little scrubbing.  And, no scratches on the cooktop.  Fan. Tastic.


No comments:

Post a Comment