Friday, September 30, 2011

Maryland Cupcake Toppers


Tomorrow we are going to the UMD vs. Towson football game. I am a proud Terp alum, but most of the people at the game are going to be from Towson. I offered to bring the cupcakes and clearly I need to represent for my school! Here's how I made the cupcake toppers for these cupcakes (and the ones in the previous post). First, collect your supplies:




1. Cand
y melts
2. Microwavable mug
3. Pastry bag

4. Silpat (or waxed paper)
5. Your design drawn out on a piece of paper (Or free hand it. Depends on if you want consistency or not.)




Put the pastry bag in the microwavable mug and fill it about halfway with the candy melts.
Follow the directions on the bag for melting them - the kind I used said to melt for 30 seconds at a time on half power. After the first 60 seconds, mine were still not completely melty and squeezable, so I put them back in for another 15 seconds. That was perfect.

Once the candy melts are at the right consistency, put your Silpat or waxed paper over your drawing and just start tracing. I started off tracing the Maryland "M," but didn't like how it was turning out so I free handed most of them. They are definitely NOT consistent, but I like them anyway. If you want to do small words, like Terps, make sure your piping is thick - the thicker it is, the less it will break.


Once you have filled your Silpat or paper, let them fully set before you start to remove them. I stuck the first set in the fridge, but let the rest set at room temperature and didn't really find a difference in the two. When they are fully set, they won't be shiny anymore. To remove, carefully lift up the Silpat or waxed paper and peel it away from the design.

No matter how careful I am, I always tend to break some, so make sure to pipe extra of anything you really want!

Once you have your toppers, make your cupcakes, frost them, and show your school spirit!

GO TERPS!


No comments:

Post a Comment