Thursday, October 13, 2011

Halloween Fabric Banner


I found this super cute banner on Pintrest the other day and I had some time on Monday so I wanted to try it out. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be and it turned out so freaking cute!!!






Supplies:
-Halloween fabric scraps (I didn't have scraps, so I went to JoAnn fabric and got 1/2 yard of five different fabrics. I had originally planned to just make one banner but I had enough to make two. Actually, probably three!)
-Ribbon (the original plan used clothesline, but the ribbon was on sale and I think it turned out cuter to have the fabric scraps a little farther apart.)










Once I had my fabric, I started cutting it into about one inch strips. I found that just folding the fabric and making a crease gave me an easy line to follow and they ended up much straighter if I did it that way. If you are a perfectionist, I am guessing you could iron creases or mark the fabric somehow.

The strips were about one inch wide and a third of a yard long. Again, perfectionists probably could have measured, but I just folded them into about thirds and cut. Once the strips were cut, I laid them out to figure what order I wanted them in.


To get the fabric on the ribbon, you make some sort of knot. I forget what kind of knot it is, but here are step by step directions.


I started by cutting two yards worth of fabric and didn't like how empty the banner was, so I cut one more yard in thirds. I only used two pieces of each fabric, so I had to find something to do with the scraps. I'll show you what I did with the scraps later!


The banner turned out really cute!! I don't have a mantel to hang this on, but we have this awesome bookshelf from Ikea that I hung it on. For easy hanging, I put command hooks on the unit. I can leave them on if I end up making a Thanksgiving banner...and a Christmas banner....and a Valentine's banner....and a St. Patrick's Day banner...I'm officially addicted!

No comments:

Post a Comment